The coast of Maine is typified by thousands of small islands, and one very large one, Mt. Desert Island (MDI). Three large islands dominate the waters off New Brunswick; Campobello Island, Deer Island, and Grand Manan Island, although NB certainly has its share of smaller islands, as well.
Campobello Island is an island located at the entrance to Passamaquoddy Bay, adjacent to the entrance to Cobscook Bay, and within the Bay of Fundy. The island is one of the Fundy Islands and is part ofCharlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada. Campobello Island is also the name of a rural community including the entire Parish of Campobello.
In 1770, a grant of the island was made to Captain William Owen (1737–1778) of the Royal Navy, who renamed it Campobello. The island's name was derived from Britain's Governor of Nova Scotia, Lord William Campbell, by Italianizing/Hispanicizing his name Campbell (which is really of Scottish Gaelic origin), alluding to campo bello, which in Italian means "beautiful field" and in Spanish "beautiful country(side)". The creation of the colony of New Brunswick in 1784 saw the island transferred to the new jurisdiction, and by the end of the 18th century the small island had a thriving community and economy, partly aided by Loyalist refugees fleeing the American Revolutionary War. Smuggling was a major part of the island's prosperity after the Revolution, a custom to which local officials largely turned a blind eye. During the War of 1812 the Royal Navy seized coastal lands of Maine as far south as the Penobscot River but returned them following the war, except for offshore islands. In 1817 the U.S. relinquished its claim to the Fundy Isles (Campobello, Deer, and Grand Manan islands), and the British returned islands in Cobscook Bay including Moose Island but notably did not return Machias Seal Island.
Grand Manan Island (also simply Grand Manan) is a Canadian island, and the largest of the Fundy Islands in the Bay of Fundy. It is also the primary island in the Grand Manan Archipelago, sitting at the boundary between the Bay of Fundy and the Gulf of Maine on the Atlantic coast. Grand Manan is jurisdictionally part of Charlotte County in the province of New Brunswick.
The vast majority of Grand Manan residents live on the eastern side of the island. Due to limited access, 91-metre (300 ft) cliffs, and high winds, the western side of the island is not residentially developed, although it does feature wind-power ventures and camps at Dark Harbour, a small dulsing community and get-away destination for islanders. Grand Manan has a network of trails for all-terrain vehicles, hiking, mountain biking, nature walks, and presents a challenging landscape for jogging. There are a number of fresh-water ponds, lakes and beaches that are prime locations for sun-bathing, beach combing, and picnics. Other interesting finds on Grand Manan are magnetic sand, and "The Hole-In-The Wall" located in Whale Cove in the village of North Head. Anchorage Provincial Park can be found on the island's southeastern coast between the communities of Grand Harbour and Seal Cove.
Deer Island is an island located in the Bay of Fundy at the entrance to Passamaquoddy Bay. Deer island is located in West Isles Parish and is part of the Fundy Islands in Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada. At 45 km2, the island is the largest in the West Isles Parish.
Minke, Finback, and Humpback whales can be seen frolicking in the waters not far from Deer Island. The Big Meadow Marsh, Eagle Hill Trail, and Deer Island Point are hot birding spots. Keep an eye out for eagles and osprey overhead, and the numerous beaver colonies near the main and byroads as you explore our isle. Look for deer in the early evenings.
Things to Do!
WHALE WATCHING, KAYAKING, DIVING & FISHING IN THE WEST ISLES REGION Enjoy a variety of water adventures and meet our incredible marine and bird life. Minke, Finback, and Humpback whales can be seen frolicking in the waters not far from Deer Island. Our local tour operators will introduce you to the exciting sea life of the whales, porpoises, seals and birds that have made Deer Island and the West Isles their home.
Lambertville, Lords Cove & Richardson: Three small villages at the islands northern end, seen as one by visitors but as individual communities by locals. You can find lobster pounds, wharves, weirs, salmon sites, beaches, breakwaters, scenic turn-outs, public telephones, credit union, churches and grocery stores.
Fairhaven: On the sunny, western side of the island overlooking the Western Passage. Don't forget to get a bite to eat and fill up your tank.
Leonardville: On the spectacular rugged Eastern side overlooking the West Isles. Take a walk through Leonardville at twilight to see the four lighthouses off-shore and the Leonardville Light; it's a nice sunrise walk, too!